Saturday, July 21, 2012

Kenzie cake





My baby, first born, only daughter is becoming a teen. Tomorrow MacKenzie Dianne will turn 13! It seems like just yesterday we brought her home. So for her special day I wanted to make her a special cake. Usually I don't do anything overly fancy for my own family. Cam Rob, and I aren't big on cake and Kenzie will usually only eat one slice. But since it was a special birthday and we were doing a special party I thought I would make her one. I had originally planned not to show her or tell her what I was making. She requested a tye dyed cake with buttercream. MacKenzie is not a big fan of fondant so I was trying to come up with something she would love. I have seen many different ruffle cakes and it felt like a good fit. I had gone over in my head a million times what I wanted it to look like and what kind of decorations I was going to add. I wanted to make a lily, then a rose, or maybe butterflies. With the weather both very hot and humid and rainy I wasn't sure if they would dry in time. So when I was at the store the other day I saw these pre-made gum paste flower. It is slightly cheating but I knew I was going to color them and make them special so I thought it was worth a try. As I got started decorating the cake I decided to let Kenzie in on the design that was I was certain she would like it. She loved the idea. And loved even more that I wanted to ombre the color. So we started out with a few layers of white then every few layers I added another drop or two of turquoise till I got to the top. They I used plum petal dust to color the petals and some food coloring to paint the center of the flower. Then I sprayed them with pearl spray . And since it was an ice skating party I put opal glitter on the whole cake so it would sparkle. MacKenzie was very happy with how it turned out and so am I.



























4 comments:

  1. Wow, nice cake! I haven't been to the bog for awhile. I'm loving that kiwi cake too. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, obviously, that's supposed to say "blog" and not "bog". LOL

      Delete
  2. Thank you Stacy. I appreciate the kind words. I really enjoy making cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful!! How can that baby girl of yours already be a teen, CRAZY! :) happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete